Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tales for Tuesday: Baby ESP

ESP for me these days means:  Eat Sleep Poop.  

I've heard from everyone - really for all my life - that babies mostly just eat, sleep and poop.  So I entered motherhood thinking this, along with the fact that "when baby cries, meet her need, which is probably one of those three."  Well, it's not a simple as everyone made it sound..
Here in our house at least, usually only ONE of those three are "normal" at a time.  Either she is eating well, but not taking very good naps.  Or she is napping & sleeping to the point that we have to wake her and then not eating much at all, even after crying her "hungry" cry.  When two of the three are not going as well as I would like, I start to worry. 


I'm a worrier by trade - I've always been one to over think, analyze, worry and ask WHY - I don't know if it's really actually true worry, even.  It's more of thinking and talking about something until the situation resolves itself or I come to acceptable conclusion or answer.  And for most things, I've been able to do that.  But with a baby - I've learned that they are one of the mysteries of the universe.  One of my friends has told me that babies will confuse and mystify you - and then once you think you've figured it out, they will have come up with another way to stump you.  So I've got to find a way to accept the daily mystery of BABY.  Maybe I do need the "real" ESP.  


One thing I have found out is that taking care of a baby has more waiting involved than I realized.  Waiting to see if there is a reaction to a new food or new product.  Waiting for the poop to come.  Waiting for the day the next size in clothes and diapers will arrive.  And with the waiting, you always have to be prepared for what you think will come - and what actually comes. And I've only got a 4 month old.  I have so much more to learn - to wait for - to wonder about - to be mystified by!  I do love my little enigma!  

1 comment:

dweebo said...

We created an app for Android phones called "Baby ESP" where ESP stands for the same thing you came up with :)