Saturday, September 11, 2010

Systematic Saturday: cleaning

I have a daily cleaning schedule.  I have had one for several years.  I came up with it because I hate to spend a chunk of the weekend cleaning.  And really I don't LIKE to clean most things.  But I like things clean.  So I came up with a way to spread the cleaning throughout the week.  When I was working full time at my job, I made a plan to get a little done everyday - to just maintain the clean.  When I was working part time - two days a week - I grouped the cleaning into 2 days (bathrooms & floors) so that I wouldn't have to do cleaning on my workdays and I'd have a "free" day too!  Now that baby is here, I have made yet another cleaning routine.  I have one little task to do a day - that takes no more than 15 minutes.  This way everything stays clean, but I don't spend that much time cleaning.  I just take a few minutes, usually during nap time, to just do a quick chore.

I am a creature of habit.  If I don't form a schedule - read Pavlov's dog - I will forget.  I plan, I make a list/chart whatever (yes and that usually involves excel, or more recently apps).  Then I know that today is ____ task.  And that way I'm not cleaning for 2 hours on the weekend or not cleaning at all.

I do enjoy a clean house - not like white glove clean (nobody come looking for messes - you can find them) - but a neat house, mainly tidy.  This is good to have with a baby in the house.  And it helps to keep my allergies at bay.  And helps to keep my sanity intact (for the most part).

1 comment:

Erica said...

I haqve never found a mess at your house and I am constanly in awe of your commentment in all that you do. You really are the most organized and amazing woman I know.