Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tales for Tuesday: Thanksgiving

Today I spent most of the afternoon naptime packing the suitcase (and baby bag) for our trip to see the family this holiday.  Someone (no names here...) has said that I take WAY too much for even a day trip, and of course too much for a few nights.  That all the baby really NEEDS are diapers and formula.  Well, that is true, technically.  But travel with a baby and not have any of that other stuff.  How smooth is that trip?
So I started today packing and getting ready for the trip.  Not that packing ahead of time is really any different for me now that the baby is here - I've always been a planner and preparer.  (I even have this awesome packing app on my phone - it's great!)
So the bags are packed - mainly - so I can keep the running around in the morning to a minimum.  And hopefully avoid any pacing that has to be done by Daniel. He paces - I pack.
And now to focus on the actual holiday.  How is it already the end of November?  It feels like we just got the baby and that we are still in the summer.  The unseasonable warmth isn't helping with getting me in the November spirit.  And the Christmas stuff in the stores has been out since mid-October, so that is really no help in getting a mindset of the season.  But here we are.  Thanksgiving.  Oh, how much I have to be thankful for.  Where to start?
The joy that I have.  The baby that was a gift from God.  The miracle of her arrival.  My wonderful family and friends.  My home.  Getting to BE at home - that I don't have to work.  Our church home - and the new friends that we have made there.  Sweet baby smiles - and baby laughter filling our home. Everywhere I look, blessings abound.

1 comment:

Talia said...

When will was about 18 months I started traveling with a small round laundry hamper full of his toys; none of the people we were visiting in KY ever had any appropriate for him and I found time in the hotel to be much more pleasant if he had a few of his favorite things scattered about on the floor. Tell Daniel it's better to have a full car and be prepared than to run into an emergancy with a little one!