Saturday, November 6, 2010

Systematic Saturday: Time Change

My "systematic" project for the weekend is/was pushing the baby back an hour, so that when the time changes, she's on the right time.  "Fall back" is supposed to give us an extra hour of sleep, but with a baby, that just means the morning just starts an hour earlier.  And me, I'm not a morning person - understatement!  Not that I just don't like getting up, I just have a hard time functioning.  Carrying a baby, feeding her a bottle - those need some functioning motor skills.  So the time change is a bigger deal to me than my husband.  He is an early bird - he actually will get up earlier to do something (go to work so that he can come home earlier, or get up to workout). Totally not me.  I'm not a night person either.  I'm a middle of the day person - 10am to 2pm is usually my highest functioning time.  But I'm learning to be at least more awake in the early morning.
So I started on Thursday, trying to push baby's schedule back by 20 minutes.  It was a little rough - but fairly successful.  And the next day, I was able to push it back 40 minutes.  Friday was a little more on the fussy side, which just confirmed to me that, yes indeed, I needed to do this moving baby's time back in increments.  And today, she got up a little later than I thought she would - and had pushed herself back by the whole hour.  So we are ready for tomorrow morning!
It seemed weird to me that I would have to move the baby forward an hour, when the clocks are going backwards.  It took Daniel a while to explain it to me - and make sure that we were doing the right thing with the baby.  I don't know why I had a hard time figuring out this one.  But my light bulb came on when I thought about Back to the Future.  Einstein (the dog - when they are first demonstrating the car) jumped over that minute to arrive at the time we are now.  So baby has to jump over the hour that we are falling back to arrive at the correct time!

No comments: