Sunday, January 9, 2011

Year in review

I found this on another blog and it seemed like a fun way to look back on an amazing year.  

1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Became a mom!  Went to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon.  

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?


Well, I set some resolutions at the beginning of 2010, and I was doing pretty good with them - they included stuff like exercising at least 5 times a week, drinking more water - stuff like that.  But then life got very hectic in June, then at the end of June it changed completely.  So I just abandoned the goals I had set.  I did make more for this year!  

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?


A few friends - and one very dear friend found out she was pregnant! 

4. Did anyone close to you die?


No.  Not really close to me.  But close to people that I love.  

5. What countries did you visit?


No countries - but the southwest was a completely different location for me!

6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
It sounds kind of weird, but more fruits and veggies in my diet.  A jogging stroller (it's actually on its way right now).  I'd love an iPad, but they are way too expensive - if only it was less $$ - I think they are cool!

7. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
June 28th - the day we got our little girl 

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?


Something that came in during the last few weeks of the year - being able to relax, not worry and not make things a big deal!  Not all the time, but I did impress myself with my calmness when my oven stopped working just as I was starting to fix Christmas dinner.
Being a mom?  I think the transition into motherhood went pretty smoothly, especially considering the speed in which it happened.
I would say making baby food, too, but it's kind of easy to do... 

9. What was your biggest failure?
Panicking over the little stuff.  And talking it to death.  And talking.  And talking.  

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Our whole little family had a really bad bug, which included a lot of time next to the toilet and lots of laundry.  So having all three of us go through that at the same time was hard!  Oh, and my little adventure of the ruptured cyst at the ER one early morning.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
The stroller/car seat combo - we bought it the day after we found out we were getting our baby.  We looked at the selection at the store and chose and bought it in about 10 minutes.  And it has been GREAT!  Ease of use, color, very sturdy.  I have enjoyed my "impulse buy" stroller!
Best tip given:  To the bellman in Vegas - who delivered my lost luggage to the room at 10:30 pm! 

12. Who did you admire?
The ladies in my Bible study group - especially the leader.  Such an amazing woman - inspiring, REAL and Godly! 

13. Where did most of your money go?
Our summer trip - Daniel says it always costs more when we "move around"
And, well, the adoption - the last chunk of $ was the big one!  

14. What did you get really excited about?
Flying out to Vegas; then getting on the train to go up to the Grand Canyon.
And I'm pretty sure I was excited those four days, preparing for our fast-arriving baby - most of what I remember was just the shock - a good kind of shock.  It was so crazy! 

15. What song will always remind you of 2010?
"A Little Fall of Rain" - from Les Mis.  Yeah, I know it's weird.  It was the first song that popped in my head that first night I laid the baby down for bed.  I wanted to sing something, and that was the only thing I could think of.
And you will keep me safe, and you will keep me close, and rain will make the flowers grow.

16. Compared to this time last year, are you:

– happier or sadder?  Happier - my dream of motherhood has come true - AND I've learned so much about myself - how to really enjoy life!
– thinner or fatter? About the same, 

maybe a little bit more...

17. What do you wish you’d done more of?


Reading. 

18. What do you wish you’d done less of?


Worrying

19. How did you spend Christmas?


At home!  Our first Christmas since we have been married that we didn't travel.  It was so nice to have Christmas Eve and Christmas morning - our little family of three - making new memories at home.  Then to have my parents and Daniel's family over that afternoon!  We had a wonderful Christmas.

20. Did you fall in love in 2010?
Yes!  With the sweetest baby girl!

21. What was your favorite TV program?


Vampire Diaries - I thought it was just going to be a fun little show, but it's really pretty great!

22. What was the best book you read?
There isn't ONE particular book I can think of.
I read several books in a few series that I am in the middle of.  It was great to actually READ a book  - and finish it.  I had this goal of reading about 40 books for 2010.  I was on track too, until June.  Then reading just kind of stopped happening for a while.  I did read some parenting, sleep, baby food making books that were pretty good.  


23. What was your greatest musical discovery?

The Pierces - I heard a great song by them on TV and went to "get" it, thinking iTunes.  But I already had their music, given to me by a friend - it was fun to discover that I HAD it! 
RockaBye Baby! - they do some cute lullabies, our favorite being "Don't Stop Believing" 
And Laura Story - love her songs.  love the words!

24. What did you want and get?
I've always wanted to see the Grand Canyon, and I did.  I've really wanted to eat at one of Bobby Flay's restaurants - and we ate at Mesa Grill in Las Vegas!  And, of course, our family becoming a family of three! 


25. What did you want and not get?
This year really was a happy, content year - I can't think of anything.

26. What was your favorite film of this year?
I really didn't get out to the theater too much this year.  I did see Harry Potter 7.1 with some friends.  The movie and the socializing were both great! 

27. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was off of work that day (back when I was at my job) - I went to Bible Study and had a wonderful time, then I was "volunteered" to be the preschool director for VBS.  I had prayed that I wanted to get more involved.  A gift from God!  I was just looking back on my journal from that day.  A happy day with friends and family, feeling loved, smiling and full of joy and peace! 


28. What is one thing that you want to differently next year?
Huh.  I have typed several things - basically that sum up to this:  I don't want to analyze and panic over every little thing, every little decision.  This parenting thing is going to be hard and if I spend my time trying to figure something out, she will already be onto the next thing! And I don't want to miss anything! 

29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Seattle Chic

30. What kept you sane?


My husband.  Journaling.  My friends - old and new! 

32. Who did you miss?


One of my closest and oldest friends moved... even farther away.  I miss you! 

33. Who was the best new person you met?


Lots of people!  God just opened so many doors for me to meet people at my church - with VBS, and a beach trip.  I was so happy to make such good friends this year, especially during a time when I was kind of feeling alone. 


34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.


I have a wise (and funny) friend, who I think should write a book about the "real" emotions of being a parent.  I got many good quotes from her this year, this one being my favorite when dealing with a problem that would otherwise send me into panic mode:
"I think this situation warrants improvement" 

I'm still working on implementing this statement.
  
35. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.


As we sung this in church at the first part of the year, the words really sunk into my heart - understanding and encouraging at the same time.  The first Sunday that we took our baby to church, we sung this song.  And I sang these words, remembering how I had felt and experiencing a new feeling as I sang them, holding our new baby in my arms.  


Everything by Tim Hughes

God in my living
There in my breathing
God in my waking
God in my sleeping

God in my resting
There in my working
God in my thinking
God in my speaking

Be my everything

God in my hoping
There in my dreaming
God in my watching
God in my waiting

God in my laughing
There in my weeping
God in my hurting
God in my healing

Christ in me
Christ in me
Christ in me the hope of glory
You are everything

Christ in me
Christ in me
Christ in me the hope of glory
Be my everything 

No comments: