Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tales for Tuesday: Beauty

Today was the Bible study kickoff for the new semester.  And we had a speaker who has a great clothing line:   Nations Outfitters.  The way this business came about and what it represents just really spoke to me.

Recently, I have been thinking about beauty - what it means, how the world defines it and how I think about it - or at least should think about it.  I've always heard, be beautiful on the inside!  Today, I heard a great thought to kind of expand that.  You can look good on the outside (e.g. with cute clothes) but it's what you DO in those clothes that really makes the difference, that is what really defines your beauty.

So many messages are being told to us by retailers these days - and most of them are just not healthy or "moral" or just plain icky.  One of my friends recently was extremely bothered by a Victoria's Secret window display.  And after reading her blog and letter to the company (way to go!) I really did take a step back and think about what she said.  The advertising, the quality, the fit have all gone downhill from when I first started shopping there.  How did I not notice this?  I had just been so trained to think that those items were the best out there, until someone else pointed out the truth.  There are better things out there - better quality, more modesty - and I will find them.  See ya Vickys!

With a daughter that is going to be looking to me to set an example of what beauty is, I want to be sure to set a good one.  We will not be shopping in stores with racy ads or trashy clothes.  I want us both to learn to have beauty coming from the inside - that the outside can be nice, but it isn't what matters.  True beauty is in the truth that we are made in God's image.  And living for Him is how we are beautiful.

2 comments:

MamaDrama77 said...

I HEART YOU!! You gorgeous mama. :-)

Marissa said...

Love, love, love those clothes! :) And you, too!