Saturday, January 29, 2011

Friday: Falling apart and back together

I'm not falling apart.  I was just having one of those days where everything seems to be breaking.  I got home from errands on Friday and the internet was out.  This happens once in a while, so it really wasn't shocking.  So I went to reboot the modem and restarted the computer.  The old "turn it off, turn it back on" fix it method.  Well, that didn't work.  So I checked the cable, since they are the same provider.  It was gone too - even the "small number" channels.  Again, not so surprising that our HD and digital channels disappear.  But for channel 20 to be gone.  That's weird.  I asked my neighbor if his internet, etc was out.  He said it was - and he was actually in the car on the way to search for some wi-fi.  He also said there was a wreck that took down some poles that knocked out power and other services.  Whoa!  So I was glad to have power at that point.
My plan had been to cue up this yoga website on the TV and do a yoga class.  But, alas, no internet.  And really, I wasn't sure what the TV was going to do either.  It was on the fritz, taking about 5-10 minutes to turn on, while buzzing and turning itself on and off.  As if to muster up the courage to turn on.  So I didn't have to really bother with it.  It was a little weird not having the internet.  It's amazing to realize how much I rely on it.  I did a few things on my phone.  But I took the opportunity during my "unplugged" afternoon to read a book.  I have all these distractions and other things that get in the way.  It was nice to have that cleared away for the afternoon, so I could curl up with some coffee and a book and just read during nap time!  I liked it so much, that I might do an "unplugged" afternoon once a week!

Oh, and the TV....
Daniel researched online about what the problem was and different ways to fix it/have it fixed.  So thinking about the pros and cons of having someone come and fix it, Daniel headed to Radio Shack and got the parts to fix it himself.  The internet and YouTube have so much information.  Our problem with the TV and how to fix it step by step.  So with soldering iron in hand, Daniel fixed the TV!!  Now it turns on - amazing - on the first try!  And no more buzzing noise.  So about 2 hours (including shopping, disassembling and soldering) and 20 bucks the TV is fixed!  WOW!!!

No comments: