Sunday, January 2, 2011

Blessing & Gratitude: Joy

2010 was such a wonderful year.  So much happened - and I actually learned a lot about myself.  I was thinking about what I want for 2011.  And I think that I want to really experience JOY!  I am really happy, don't get me wrong - especially with the wonderful gift of this past year.  And there has been much sadness and longing waiting for that time to arrive.  But I know there is a difference in being happy and really having joy in your heart.
Our founding fathers based this country on the pursuit of happiness.  But I think that if you are pursuing happiness then it's just really not the lasting kind.  That might not be what they meant, really - but the wording got me to thinking.  Now the big stuff - following God's plan for your life - us pursing adoption and a family - that's not really what I'm talking about.  It's all that little stuff - the nagging stuff - that I run around, thinking about, analyzing - that's the stuff that keeping me away from being happy.  Having the "joy joy joy joy, down in my heart!"  And I think with that joy will come peace too.  The peace that passes ALL understanding.  And I think, with a baby in the house, I'm going to need that joy - because some days are just not going to be happy.  And I'm going to need some peace.  Peace... does that exist in a home with small children.  But that's what I'm thankful for.  And that's what I'm going to be pursing this year!

2 comments:

Talia said...

Like minds: a variation of that is one of my few resolutions.

Marissa said...

Preach on! I feel like those "little things" are constantly nagging at me and keeping me from experiencing true joy.

Love you so much!