Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Tales for Tuesday: Where is the mailman?

These past two days have been very cold - and a little icy.  In some places fairly close to me, it's probably worse than it is out my front door.  We did not get the snow; we got the ice.  I grew up just a little farther north than I live now.  And those miles really make all the difference between school closings, amount of (and actually having) snow, and salt trucks instead of sand trucks.  I do agree with the voice of safety.  If you don't have to get out, then just don't risk it.  You can't see the black ice, you don't really know what's around the corner.  Best just to stay put if you can.
But even with worse weather growing up, I have never seen this much of a town, a city, a state - shut down because of weather.  The mailman hasn't come the past two days.  I thought their motto had something to do with sleet and snow and weather NOT keeping them away.  I even just looked it up on Wiki - it actually isn't their creed, but just on a post office building.  But hey, even Cliff on Cheers was proud of the motto.  But no mail here.  No UPS trucks.  No trash man either.  I was trying to think if it was some national holiday I didn't know about.  The kids in the neighborhood had to go to school today, but the mailman didn't come.  And I was trying to call a doctor's office today (just for a checkup appointment) and they were closed too.
Is there something that everyone else knows that I don't?  I did stay put, because I really didn't need to go anywhere.  But I need to tomorrow.  So I'm hoping that things are going to be back to normal soon.

No comments: