Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Tales for Tuesday: Reading

A few years ago, I started reading - regularly, that is.  I just wasn't what you would call a reader.  But I always wanted to be.  I was inspired by a few friends that always have a book going - and that always had great recommendations for me.  So I just jumped in - starting with the Harry Potter series.  A great series of YA books, easy, yet GREAT reads.  And I could set myself a goal.  I started the series a few months before the fourth movie came out.  So I was determined to get those first 4 books read before I saw the next movie.  And I succeeded.
After that, I got going on several YA series.  I really do like the books in that section.  Not too graphic - in all meanings.  And they are fast reads, well usually, for me!
At the beginning of the year, I wanted to read about 30 books this year.  And I was on track to do it, too.  One of my friends, who read 96 books last year, just amazes me - with the speed that she goes through books and the excitement when a new book comes out.  I wanted to expand my horizons and enjoy a few more series this year.  Well, I started on that goal.  I even made myself a list.  I read 12 books - January through May.  And then June happened.  We went on our trip and then shortly after returned (VERY shortly) we brought home our baby girl!  So reading didn't happen much these past few months.
But I want to get back to reading.  And now I have a whole new subject to be reading about.  Since there were only four days to prepare for the baby's arrival, needless to say, I didn't read any books.  Getting the crib and the car seat was way more important.  But now we are settling in, and I've made a list of a few books that I'd like to read about babies, kids and parenting.  My plan was to read a few of those in the months that we waited for the baby to arrive.  Well, as I am learning everyday - plans are great ideas in theory, but not usually reality.
This week, I did finish a book that I had started in the spring.  After a couple "interruptions" this summer, I finally got it finished!  That was a victory!  And I even stopped by the library last week and got a book.  There are a couple of "green" books that I want to read - to maybe green up my cleaning.
So here I go... back into reading.

2 comments:

Talia said...

I'm up to 113 this year. All of that time on the treadmill is paying off!

Good parenting reads:

Jim Trelease's Read Aloud Handbook
Nurtureshock
The Five Love Languages of Children
Baby, We Were Meant for Each Other

Mrs. Brock said...

Yay for getting back to reading! I love it, but don't do it often enough. I take after my mom in that when I start reading I don't put it down until I'm finished with it. That leads to lots of laundry piling up and a hungry family :)