Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thursday Three: The squirrel adventure

1) Hear noise and see squirrel IN screen porch
2) Let squirrel out
3) Fix door

So here's the story of my little afternoon adventure.  I heard this noise on my screen porch - this weird thumping.  I didn't like the sound of it...so of course I went to investigate.  And as I looked out the window of the back door, this squirrel popped his head up over a chair.  So, I thought to myself - Uh squirrel on porch... now what?  And of course I grabbed the camera for a quick shot!  So here's the squirrel where I first saw him.  I didn't want to open the door to the porch from inside the house.  THAT could lead to something pretty bad.  Squirrel in porch, ok.  Squirrel in house, no thanks.  



So my plan was to go around to the back deck to the screen door.  I can reach the latch on this door from the outside.  I figured that out a few weeks ago, and that discovery came in handy today.  So I slowly walked over to the door.  I was trying not to scream or squeak or freak out.  The squirrel was doing no such thing.  He was running around like crazy, up on the window ledges and around the chair legs on the ground.  He wanted out of there pretty bad.  I was just hoping that he'd let me get out of the way first.  So I got the door unlatched and hooked it open (I have this other latch that will prop the door open - another very handy thing to have today).  So I opened the door as fast as I could, staying quiet (but jumpy inside) and then I ran to the opposite corner of the deck.  The squirrel - seeing the open door - sprinted for it.  It was so funny to see him just run right for the door and then down the stairs and then all the way to the farthest part of our back yard and up a tree.  Poor thing.  Guess he was ready to be as far away from the porch as he could be.  He didn't stop until he was in that tree - running full speed.  

So the squirrel gone, I wanted to see how he got in.  All the "openings" are screened closed.  But I saw that the screen on the bottom of the door had come out of the groove, and there was a little tear in a part of it.  So I immediately went and got the staple gun.  And sealed up that opening!  And I even got some tape to close up that little tear.  I don't want any more visitors!    

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

MamaDrama77 said...

Love that you documented the event with photos! He's a cute little guy. Probably shortened his life by a couple of years with the scare you gave him!! LOL