Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tales for Tuesday: determination and perseverance

So I'm running in a 5K race this weekend.  I use the terms "run" and "race" very loosely.  I have wanted to get back into running.  I used to run in high school and college.  In high school, I ran cross country - and often ran 6-10 miles a day.  Boy, that sounds crazy!!  Now I'm just trying to run.  My goal is to run about 2 or 3.  And I'm at about 2 miles.  I hope.  Guess we will find out just how far I can run on Saturday!

With all this running, I am learning to appreciate two main lessons:  determination and perseverance.  Which are obviously being applied while I run, but I am needed to apply these principles in so many other areas of my life now.  I'm needing these skills in my life now, as a mom, more than when I didn't have a baby. Sometimes just getting up takes determination.  And I have to have perseverance in feeding the baby girl.  She is just not a great eater, so I have to keep trying - slogging through those yucky faces and refusals to try yet again.  That's sometimes harder than running up that last hill in those last few minutes of my morning run.  I'm going to hang onto and hone these skills.  Because I'm going to need them...

No comments: