Sunday, April 29, 2012

Hot Glue


The hot glue gun has been out a LOT lately. I've been doing projects for my church's VBS this summer. I'm the preschool director, so I have lots of little projects to "assemble" for my leaders. Cutting felt, cutting construction paper. This week was gluing little faces on popsicle sticks. It took several "shifts" to do all of them. There were over a hundred. 


Then I was doing a few projects for the upcoming birthday party for the little one! This year I'm doing cookies and milk. And doing some decorations in that theme. Finding things with cookies on them - like a chocolate chip cookie, not a Christmas cookie - is absolutely impossible. So I had to come up with my own cute decorations. And I did some research where I found some cute ideas from a blog - a mom that did a cookies and milk birthday party!  Super fancy, but it got me thinking. [I don't remember where it was... sorry!]  So I got crafting!  I made some little felt cookies - using hot glue.  On the final portion of the project I burned my thumb. B. A. D. 
"Luckily" it was on the thumb that is numb. So I couldn't feel it.  But I couldn't FEEL it!  It probably burned more than it would have if I had normal feeling in my thumb.  And I thought that the weird thumb numbness was the injury that I was going to take to the beach with me.
Nope... I was wrong.  
After a few hours, the horrible pain went away.  Have you ever felt a hot glue burn?  I don't recommend them.  And it wasn't as bad as I first thought it was going to be.  Although, it's only day two and the healing has just begun.  So one good thing from the burn?  My thumb isn't numb anymore.   Well, I can at least feel it a little more.  Nothing like scalding skin to get the nerves working!  
Gluing tiny faces on popsicle sticks didn't cause a burn.  But doing a 2 inch cookie did.  Hmmm.  


I was working on a variation on this tissue paper project from Martha Stewart.  I saw some of these - and variations on that great blog I found.  So I decided to do my own take on this.  Themed to cookies...  And of course, what glues the cute little paper poofs to the board?  HOT GLUE.  Somehow one of the pom-poms slipped out of my hand (the burned thumb hand) and onto my index finger.  And BURNED.  Bad.  Again.  So now I have one on each hand.  


The searing pain is now gone, just a little throbbing now.  And now I wait for the blister, er blisters, to show themselves.  Just what you want to travel with to salt water and sand.  I didn't know crafting was so dangerous.  I've used the hot glue gun many many times.  But this time was just special.  

No comments: