Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Occupation Contemplation


I like my job.  It's hard, but it's fun.  I like being a mom and running the household.  Sometimes it feels pointless and frustrating.  But most of the time, I couldn't imagine doing anything else.  I worked at a great job for almost 9 years and when I became a mom - so quickly in those FOUR days - I left that job to stay home with the new baby.  To start my dream job.  A stay at home mom.  

I was thinking the other day - it was a rough mommy day - if this is hard, what would be something that I wouldn't want to do everyday...or ever!!   
• I wouldn't want to work a job where I would have to be "high up" on something, i.e. in a cherry-picker, washing windows, ladders, or anything like that.  
• I served my time being a server at a restaurant, and I never want to go back to that.  It stressed me out, exhausted me, and I wasn't very good at it.  Which really needs to happen if you want to make any money at all.  
• I don't want to work somewhere I'd have to dress up everyday.  I had one job that required "office" attire, and it was miserable.  One of the many great things about the job that I left was the casual atmosphere.  And my daily mom attire... just as as casual!  
• I wouldn't want a job where I would have to drive around all day - a courier, something like that.  I don't like driving.  It's not as bad as it used to be, my dislike for driving, but I do like staying in my little part of the world, driving my girls around!  

So, what would I want to do as a career?  I'm thinking out-of-the-box, dream jobs here, that don't really take into account skill or training that I may or may not have.  
• Professional organizer.  This job has been in the back of my mind for a long time. It's really something that I would like to do, and I think that I'd be good at it and have fun with it.  It's just a matter of having the drive and the time to start going with it.  And for it to be the right time to do it.  
• Editor - probably more like a copy editor.  But it would be amazing to do paste up and layout for a magazine or something.  I did copy editing in college and really enjoyed it.  And I've done proofing too.  Maybe it's the nerd in me that likes the challenge to find a mistake.  
• Designer - Interior or Clothing.  Neither of which that I really have the talent for.  I just think that it would be fun to have such a creative outlet for creating beauty.  Looking around my house and in my closet, I wish I had just a touch of talent for this...  
• A chef - Again.  I like to cook, but that raw talent isn't there.  I would like to bake - making tasty treats and beautiful cakes.  It would be fun to layer the cake and smooth the icing on something that tasted as good as it looked.  

But for now, I'm happy being a mom. But I do wonder what I will be when I grow up? 

No comments: