Saturday, August 28, 2010

Systematic Saturday: everyday organizing

A general overview of my organizing and housekeeping ways. I LOVE to organize. I like rearranging to mix things up and to find better ways to store and access my things. My goal is that everything has a place. So that it is easy to find - when it gets put up. Which around here happens most of the time. Both me and my husband are on the neat side. I do have my messy moments - and my messy spots. Only a few areas of organized chaos. But those places are on the list to get the one-two organizing punch.
I also love making lists. I'm not really good at remembering things - anything. Names, needs at the store, what I was going to do next, what I just did an hour ago. And now, in the wonderful age of technology - iPhones and computers - I have completely abandoned the handwritten list. I have Excel spreadsheets for long term things. (I LOVE excel) And am now using Google docs - great program. Easily accessible, used and shared! I have a great app on my phone for day to day things - aptly called errands. And the grocery list is probably the geekiest of all lists. It's a sorted, printed out spreadsheet list. It's nerdy, but awesome. Take my word for it. I can't go to the grocery store without it. Well, I can, but I come home with about $100 more than I planned in my head.
And even with the new baby - with all the stuff that seems to come in the house along with the baby - we have been able to integrate her things into our home. We have little caddies for blankets and toys in the den. Then the big toy box in her room. We have a great bottle cleaning system that actually Daniel came up with on day two of having baby home! I had her stuff organized in her room - drawers and closet - before we brought her home. That was important to me mentally - so that I felt a little more prepared - a little more like me - when we came home a family of three. There has been several rearranging times since then, but I'm always on the lookout for the BETTER way to organize things!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Carrie, You need to write a book about organizing. I could certainly use some helpful tips. Anna