Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Fast, Indeed

I was just getting started on my second half of the week - the half I don't work. I made my grocery list and then I was looking for some books at the library - through the online catalog. I like to swing by the library on the way to the store! The online reservation system is great. It opens up all of the libraries that are in the system, without having to actually GO to them. All you do is click the "request" button, then they notify you when the book is sitting there at YOUR library waiting with your name on it!
There was one book that I wanted to check out, but at my branch, as well as other branches, it was checked out. I knew, being a new release, that I would have to just put a hold on it and wait. I thought I'd have to wait about a week or two. So I continued looking on the site for another book I could check out. But in about 30 minutes - after looking at the online catalog, piddling a little more on the internet and then getting ready to walk out the door, I got a call from the automated service that it was on hold for me already. So when I went to the library, I was able to get THAT book. And good thing, they didn't have that second book that I picked out! Talk about service. That online system really does work! I couldn't believe how fast it was this time. I thought I’d have to wait a week or so. But all I waited was 45 minutes, if you could really call that waiting. More like “time elapsed”

No comments: