Saturday, April 18, 2009

Bridge?

We are planning to go to Seattle this summer. Again. I loved it so much. We love the cooler weather. My husband has never really been much of a beach person. I used to love it, but now I feel like I'm a Pacific Northwest person. When we were up there 2 years ago, it just felt like home. And it's amazing that you can be somewhere on vacation and it feel like home. I think I may have something like a recessive Pacific Northwest gene that has been dormant but was activated on that trip. I used to adore summer, now I love the cool spring and fall days. I used to despise rain; now I love listening to it, being in it. Even driving in the rain doesn't bother me near as much as it used to. (Although I'm still not a fan of really bad thunderstorms that come with high winds and the threat of tornadoes - not as scary as they used to be!!)
So we are going back to Seattle. Hitting some of the favorite spots from our last trip - Tully's coffee - the Ferry! And going to do some driving to look at nature. So much nature up there, it's hard to decide. I wanted to check out the Olympic Peninsula. The main access point to get to the Peninsula is Hood Canal Bridge.
And in my recent research for the trip, I found this disheartening site. It's called "No Bridge, No Problem." Yikes. The Hood Canal Bridge is going to be closed all of May and the "first half of June." We are taking our already booked trip the third week of June. So here's hoping that they can finish on time - or even early. This is going to be messing up commuters and tourism, so I'm guessing they are going to be constructing pretty fast. But we are cutting it pretty close. There are ways around the bridge. But they are really AROUND. So I'm going to plan 2 routes. One with a bridge. And one without.

No comments: