Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Flight

My husband had an exciting day yesterday. He was flying to Albuquerque for business. He got stuck in traffic on the way to the airport. Four wrecks in about 10 miles on the interstate. So he ventured off the freeway and went to a side street - still heading north. That's when I got the text "not going to make it." He had left in plenty of time to get to the airport, check his bag and still have time to wait at the gate. But now it was looking like it was going to take a miracle for him to get to the airport before the flight took off. So I called him, he was trying to find a street that cut through to another main road heading to the airport. A friend at work told me what the street was called. That helped him a little. At 8:58, he was about 10 miles away. The next text I got was this: "made it" at 9:22. I text back "define made it" but he had already turned off his phone. So I figured he was on the plane. But I couldn't believe it.

He had made it to the airport, parked in long term parking, printed his boarding pass, checked his bag, went through security and made it to the gate.

That evening, he told me the amazing tale. Somehow he had gotten through traffic to get to the airport and parked in the first spot that he had seen in the garage. And of course it was the farthest from the airline that he was on, so he grabbed his bag and RAN to the counter. He got his boarding pass and checked his bag. Then he RAN to the security area. He went through very fast (no carry-ons at ALL - lucky!). Then he walked fast to his gate (which was of course at the very end of the terminal). He bent down to tie his shoes (that he had left untied from security) and as he stood up from that, the plane started boarding.

AMAZING!

I was praying the whole time that he would make it. I just didn't know how perfect and how unbelievable it was going to be!
And - when he got to New Mexico - his luggage was there!

No comments: