Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Week Two: Choosing Moments

Last week was week two in my Making Moments Matter challenge for myself.  I didn't say "hurry up" one time!  I could not believe it!  And so my "slowing down" continues.  I see it more as a new pace of life.  Not being in a rush to get out the door or to get things done has actually led to me having MORE time and getting more things done.  Including fun stuff, for the kids AND myself!  Amazing.  Who knew?

So this past week's goal was to CHOOSE.  I wanted to make good choices in the moments that I had.  Choosing the option that I usually didn't, because of fear, laziness, agenda, etc - you name it.  So this week, as I was going slower, I was able to see the other options in moments, instead of the eyes to the ground and petal to the metal way of life I usually live.  

Some Moments from this past week - where I made the OTHER choice:

•  Choosing to make muffins with the girls, for no other reason (besides eating them) than just spending time with them.  (Three ingredient Chocolate peanut butter chip muffins*!! YUM!)

• Choosing moments for me - going for a run, when I could have done a thousand other things - and writing my blog (which obviously I haven't chosen much in the past!)

• Chose to go to get shave ice with the kids - even though it is messy...and a crazy location...and just really an insane thing to do with my three kids
 
• Choosing to talk to a friend running beside me on the treadmill, instead of just saying "hi" and putting in my headphones.  And I had a great run - and had a blast!

• Looking out my car window and being able to see my little little in his class through the church window - instead of looking down at a screen - while I waited in carpool

• Choosing to just be ok with being rained on as I left Costco - and as we left the school building after picking up all three kids.  We were completely soaked, but it was kind of fun!  (only one of us had a raincoat - and my umbrella was, um, "not helpful")

• Choosing an outdoor run on the local track - instead of just the gym treadmill.  And choosing to go those extra 2 laps, and then just ONE more!  Being my own coach and challenging myself!


I look back at last week and marvel at all the amazing things I could have missed if I did not choose to be in the moment.  How have I been living my life so far?  Just sprinting through with my eyes closed tight?  It feels like this when I see what all I experienced.  Just living my life.  Doing my normal activities.  Nothing huge.  Nothing monumental.  But oh so magical!  



* Muffins:  1 box Devil's Food cake mix.  1 can pure pumpkin.  Peanut Butter chips  :)



No comments: