Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Making Moments

• I wanted to make a "stay at home" spring break fun for the kids.  And for me.  Something out of the ordinary.  Not just hanging around the house, waiting for school to be back in session.  Something that we could look forward to each day.  So I planned things – little things, but big impact.  And hopefully great memories!  And fun!  One day we went to the zoo.  Another day we baked and decorated cookies.  We spent time playing with friends.  We went to the mall and rode the carousel (and, well, stopped in for some new summer shoes too…)  But besides the shoes, we didn’t DO anything.  Chores were on hold (ok, except the laundry, but you have to wear clothes…)  The agenda for the week was to have fun and spend time together.  To make good choices – relationship choices.   It was fun to put the to do list aside.  And it got me thinking…

• I have been reading a book* about being “hands free.”  It’s not just about putting devices down, it’s about ALL the distractions that are in daily life.  The ones that take over.  And I have been amazed of how many have seeped into my life.  I’ve always been under the mindset of “clean, then have fun.”  When I was a kid, I would clean my room before doing my homework.  Procrastination?  Maybe - but I needed a clean room to focus – and I liked having a clean room.   And now I find that I’m doing the same thing as a mom.  I will read you a book after I do the dishes.  I will look at your picture, after I finish making your lunch.  All of those things are important and need to be done, but in what order?  What priority am I giving to the REAL, relational stuff?   The other stuff is getting in the way. 

• One of my friends is doing a challenge she found on Instagram.  #The100DayProject - 100 days of making!  This is more geared to some type of creativity.  What could you make in 100 days?  It sounded intriguing.  So I wanted to start it as well.  So I thought, what could I make…  Organizing stuff?  Hair bows for the girls?  Knitting?  Blogging?  Writing?  All of this stuff sounded fun, but it just wasn’t feeling right.  I would love to do all of these things, but I just was feeling burdened, not excited about the 100 days of this challenge.  What could I make?? 

And then it occurred to me – Put all three of these things together.  Spring break + my current book + 100 days making challenge.

My 100 day challenge is Making Moments Matter! 

Each day, I’m going to choose to catch those moments that usually slide by.  I’m going to find gifts in seemingly frustrating moments.  I’m going to savor sights of nature.  Memorize sweet tiny faces that are in my home.  Embrace the ones I love.  Find time to be ME and enjoy my passions!

I will forget.  I will fail.  But I will not give up.  Because this is life – memories made in the everyday. 



*Hands Free Mama by Rachel Macy Stafford

No comments: