Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Week One of Moments

One of my goals for making moments matter is to pay attention to the small details and moments of life.  Simple, but very difficult to actually do.

So my first step to do this is to  S L O W.  D O W N.   Which is so hard for me.  I always go...go...go... Until I stop - usually for bedtime - or from sheer, utter exhaustion and my brain just shuts off.  I go go go because I feel more accomplished if I have marked everything (or at least most things) off my list.  And I feel more worthy of "fun" time if I have been productive.

So this week, I started my #100DayProject challenge, I am doing the opposite of my nature.  I am shutting that "hurry up" button off.  Really trying to remove that personal setting altogether.  This new pace that I am going to try, I want to keep going.  And it's the pace that life needs to be.  Rushing really doesn't speed things up, it just causes stress and yuck.  Hurrying NEVER helps.

To see - really see - life around me:  the people I love, what makes them tick, what their needs are, what makes their hearts sing.  Those are some of my goals.  Yes, I still have a to-do list - but it is not ruling me.  And I still have to be a mom, so it's not all fun and games.  But for all those moments I've been missing because I have been too busy - that's what I'm chasing!!

So week one - Here is a look at a few captured moments when I slowed down:

• Staying on the couch just a little longer to cuddle my girls.
• Running just a little behind one day, but I didn't try to rush - which helped match up my timing with a friend - who was getting in her car as I was arriving...  Perfect God timing.
• More cuddles, when the middle little woke up too early, and instead of being frustrated, I just enjoyed a few quiet, still moments with her.
• Getting to see the little little bobbing his head to the music, when he didn't think I was looking
• Yet another timing thing, ended up somewhere later than I planned, but got to talk to a friend (and took the time to do it) and got encouragement that I didn't even know I needed.
• Waiting for an appointment with the little little - MUCH longer than expected.  I didn't get agitated.  I just watched as he cheerfully ate his snack, smiled up at me and looked out the window at all the cars going by.
• Choosing to go play outside with my family, instead of just staying inside to check things off the list.
• Dropping everything to take the girls to chase the ice cream truck down the street!

Putting aside my agenda for errands and chores and just paying attention to the people around me has given me such encouragement and hugs from the Father this week.  Sometimes I just rush by life - to get to the next thing: to get home - to get things checked off - to feed kids, etc.  But this week (and weeks continuing) I am keeping my eyes open.  Who do I need to stop and talk to, instead of rushing off?  To whom do I need to say a happy hello - that I might not even know?  How can I really pay attention to the picture my child drew and is now showing me and telling me all about... in GREAT detail?  I long to be in the moment - really BE there - and enjoy them and make them matter. Because that moment will be gone.  And I want to no longer wonder what I might have been missing.

This week my eyes HAVE been opened.  It's not just about the moments.  It's about who I want to be.  For my kids, my husband, my friends - myself!  There is going to be much learning along the way.  Where am I going to falter?  Where is it going to be easier?  And learning how to balance all of that with what really does have to get done.  It's just a matter of HOW it gets done.

This is definitely a work in progress - and it's just beginning.

No comments: