Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Life in the Messy

The Messy
Could be defined as having kids.  Or just having a home.  Or just LIFE.  Life is in the messy.  And life happens in the messy.  But messy is real.  Messy is sometimes FUN!

Here are a few moments:
• Having the kids dig in the dirt to "help" me clear the weeds out to get the garden ready
• Then having the kids back in the garden to help me plant all the plants
• Realizing that the little little can eat by himself with a spoon, with very LITTLE mess (when did this happen?)
• Wearing my shirt inside-out for half the day, then when a kind friend told me, I just shrugged and kept going...  (a couple of years ago, I would have run to the bathroom in horror)

But there were some not so great moments.  I think I still need to learn how to have peace in the messy.  For example, when we were outside, I was so hot & tired and could barely move.  And being outside was making my kids WILD.  So when they resorted to throwing dirt and "helping" too much, we just had to stop.

It's interesting to try to find the balance between doing what needs to be done & being the mom AND then also enjoying the life that we have together and having fun in the moment.  Being very organized in mind and environment does not lend itself to being messy.  And living in the moment really does sometimes equal messy.  To let your kids help you bake - more kitchen to clean later.  To sit down and play a game - the dishes, laundry, etc... to be done later.  There is a lot of later when living in the moment.  And at this point I'm not sure when later comes?  It's a balance of some kind - a balance that will fit me and our lives - but I have yet to find it.  It's there sometimes.  That's why choosing to make those moments are important to me.  It has to be a conscious choice for me - or I will just miss them.  Moments for me usually don't just happen, but if I am watching for them...  I can catch them!

No comments: