Thursday, May 27, 2010

Mint-Tea

This is a corner of my garden. My mint plant that I planted last year, and as mint does, came back this year with a vengeance. It's actually a chocolate mint plant.


Last year, I did nothing with the mint, besides just smell it when the wind ruffled the leaves. I did cut most of it at the end of the season, with intentions of drying it, but after a few weeks - and after a snowfall, I remembered that I had left the mint outside on the porch. Oops. It was kind of gross.

So this year I decided to use the mint. I had been looking for some way to brew the leaves. And this past weekend on a trip to Ikea, I found this nifty teapot, with a mesh insert for tea leaves!! It works great.


I just clip a few stems & leaves, chop them up and in the pot they go. Then just pour hot water through the middle and brew for a while! Yum! The chocolate part of the mint doesn't really have a Hershey's chocolate taste. It just adds a little sweetness and takes away some of the bitterness. Gives it a smooth flavor!

It's amazing that I can make a refreshing drink from a plant in my yard and water. Guess that's how tea has been made for thousands of years, but I just started doing it. I grew the plant. I brewed the tea!

2 comments:

Talia said...

Awesome!

Michelle G. said...

Jamey does that a lot too. Just gotta be careful which plants you are brewing! lol.
My Son cut some catnip out of the garden and made tea one time...Said he really liked it...then I told him the cats had just "watered" that plant! LOL.