Thursday, August 2, 2012

Today is the day!

And then there were three:
Here we are, on the brink of welcoming a third child, a third adopted child, into our family.  How wonderfully and abundantly God has built our family.  Five years ago, if you asked me if I would be writing a blog about having three kids, I would have thought it was crazy.  I thought I was going to have only one.  And one was going to be an amazing blessing.  But now, there will be three.  

The call:
Two months ago, I got a call from our previous social worker.  "Sit down, do you want a baby?" I was floored. We were not pursuing adoption.  But by a request from the birth mom, here we are. [due to the sensitive nature of this situation, I'm not going to go into detail here] 
So we are getting a baby boy. It was great to call my husband, who was out of town and ask - hey, um. Do you want a baby? It's a boy?! So we started our journey - running, actually sprinting, to bring him home. 

Warp speed adoption prep: 
I got the news on a Monday afternoon - and we said yes that evening. Then Tuesday I did all of the paperwork for the adoption (like 2 months of paperwork from application to legal forms). Then Wednesday we went and got our fingerprints. And the place is only open on Wednesdays! Perfectly God's timing. Then that Wednesday afternoon we had our first home study. Then the next Monday we had the other 4 home studies in one big session. Then that Tuesday and Wednesday we had our physicals done. Amazing that we got appointments so fast!  So pretty much a whole adoption in the matter of a week! Then we waited... 

Waiting: 
It was different waiting this time, because there was already a baby. Normally you do "process, waiting baby" but we did "baby, process, waiting" and it was emotional, in a different way. Waiting for something that you didn't know you wanted. The surprise way that it came into our lives made it really not seem that real, even with all the signing and buying and planning. My background check came back in about 2 weeks. About what we were thinking.  But then my husband's fingerprints got a misread. Basically, more waiting. Calling, checking, waiting. And then yesterday all of the sudden - done! 

We had to do everything all over again. Because they can only count all of the legal stuff for one adoption only. Basically, we are putting stuff in the baby's file, not our file. So each child has to have all the documentation. Also, we did find out that we had to wait for everything to come in before Gotcha Day, because the agency could have license problems. I would not want to do anything to harm our adoption, or anyone else's in the future. 

So, I started this blog titled as "the big news" - that was a few weeks ago, but since the super fast part kind of slowed down, I had to put it aside and guard my heart. It was weird to not know you wanted something and then miss it when you didn't get it.  Then I changed the title to something about having three kids. 

But today is the day. Everything changes. And it will be amazing to see our new family! 

1 comment:

Joie said...

So very excited about your new blessing from the Lord!! Thanks for sharing!! Love, Joie