Saturday, August 25, 2012

Breaking point. Literally.

Once again, I have broken my baby toe.  And this time is it BAD.  I can hardly walk.  And it's swollen so much, it really is trying to be the size of my big toe.  Not being able to walk really does put a cramp in my parenting of three children.  Not so much with the chasing and the leaning.  Or the standing.  Or walking.  So it happened today (Saturday).  I guess that's a good thing, that it happened on a weekend, so that my husband is here to help me out.  But then again, the doctor is closed today.  I'm not really sure if I need to go to the doctor, anyway.  I have commenced with the buddy tape, ice and have tried to rest it the best I could today.  But that isn't as easy as it sounds.  
I have broken this toe several times before.  The first (and the worst, up until THIS time) was the night that I got engaged.  I kind of knew that it was coming - we were dressing up for a date.  I ran through my closet and WHACK, hit my food on the doorframe.  But I was so excited, I still shoved my foot in a dress shoe and had a great evening!  But that was a long time ago, I guess my feet don't recover as well now.  It does seem, though, that every time I break this toe, something major is going on in life.  Getting engaged was one of the big ones.  I think I had a few other minor breaks or "toe hits" for other momentous occasions.  I think I did when we went to get our first baby.  (I can't really remember all the breaks right now.  All I can really think is "ouch ow ouch")  And now I have a major one with our new baby.  Thankfully I avoided smashing my toe before going to China!  
I am a klutz.  At my last job I had, they knew that I'd be falling, tripping or dropping something at least once a week, er once a day.  They called me Grace.  And then when Twilight came out, they called me Bella.  I'm known for my accident-prone-ness.  But I've actually been doing well since having kids.  I guess I'm just wearing out. Having 4, 2 and 2 months just will drain you.  I think that I was working on adrenaline - for the first two weeks we had the new baby, I was just going going going.  Running on excitement and coffee.  And I was making that push to the birthday party weekend.  But now that the oldest has turned 4 and the party is over, I am drained.  Exhausted.  And it seems that gravity figured that out and pulled me down over baby gear and helped me break my toe.  
I knew that it was a goner as soon as I hit the floor.  Tears were just streaming down my face - and I'm a pretty tough cookie most of the time.  The girls came to check on me - gave me hugs and kisses (which I told them to blow kisses, not to actually KISS my foot).  It helped and was so sweet.  But the pain remained.  So that's me, walking around with a limp, hop and stutter.  
Oh....and no children were harmed in the process of falling. 

No comments: