Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Keeping things running smoothly...


Each week I have a plan.  For getting everything done (well, most everything done).  I have an awesome to do list app on my iPad, that I refer to MANY times a day.  It's called Errands.  And it doesn't look like much when you first download it.  The beauty of it, though, is its customizability. 
I have my day to day life broken down into categories, like chores, shopping lists and errands outside the house.  And for each day, I have one or two tasks for each category.  So, for instance, my cleaning chores are broken down into one task for each day - one day is the bathroom; one day is vacuuming, etc. And the same for laundry - instead of waiting until someone is totally out of an article of clothing, each day of the week has its own load assigned to it.  
I do the same kind of thing for uploading, editing and sorting all of the many pictures that I take of my girls - all the time.  If I didn't do it weekly, they would pile up - and then never get done.  
Same with the cleaning, really.  I used to just have one day on the weekend that I would clean everything.  And I dreaded those hours.  How they took away my weekend fun time (at this time I was working outside the home and we didn't have kids).  So now, with my daily maintenance cleaning and other chores, everything stays clean.  My kitchen, my bath, my paper inbox, my photos.  That way I don't get overwhelmed. And everything stays clean - which makes the cleaning easier. 
Probably the most important thing to me that I do each day is prepare for the next day.  Getting out lists and coupons, getting out things for the next day's chore (like cleaners and such), getting the next day's laundry load on top of the washer and picking out clothes.  
This system works so well for me.  It may sound a little, well, nerdy.  But I guess that's how I liike things!  With the hyper organization of the chores and tasks that keep the house running, I don't have to think about it much - or really at all.  I know Oh, now it's time to do "this."  
Another great thing about the app that I mentioned, is that I can sort by category to see what is due each day in each area.  So I can see how my week is going to go - so that I can spread things out.  This works well in planning my errands for the week.  
Since all the planning is already done, this system saves me so much time.  And keeps me on track - something that I have a hard time doing.  Also it helps maintain my much desired level of organization and neatness.  Which helps me enjoy all the other aspects of being at home!  

No comments: