Monday, August 24, 2009

Graceful

The other day I went for a bike ride at a local park. I have been re-learning how to ride a bike. You know the saying about if you used to know something and then come across it again - it's just like riding a bike... well, bike riding was NOT like that for me. I had to do practice laps in my driveway (no training wheels involved, but it was still pretty sad-looking).

So, when I took my bike out to the park, it was a great victory. To actually ride my bike in public!! I don't have a bike rack, but I have a Jeep - so I was just going to throw it in the back. Well, it took me 5 times of hoisting it up to get it to fit easily. Then I got it out pretty smoothly at the park, thankfully! I rode for about 40 minutes. It was amazing - feeling the wind and the speed (well, as much speed as I would dare), riding over creeks and under trees - there were very few people there. I felt free!! Then I loaded my bike back up, feeling exhilarated!

That afternoon, I was doing some housework. I had the vacuum out and was moving something so to be able to vacuum under it. And I walked around it and the cord got stuck between my toe - somehow - and it made me lurch forward into the door frame of the closet. I hit the frame so hard with my right arm that I scraped it up and could see the bruise forming almost immediately. And my left shoulder hit too. This bruise I could feel, but not see...yet.

So now, a few days later, I have this huge green and yellow bruise just above my right wrist. Not from biking or even lifting my bike into my car. No. It's from vacuuming. Well, not really even that. It's from walking AROUND the vacuum.

No comments: