Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Fire!!

I came back from the kitchen after filling my water bottle and my co-
worker calmly tells me that smoke is pouring out of the ceiling in the
department next to us. Ok. So it's nothing to worry about, right?

Well, within the next 10 minutes, the managers were running around
saying "grab your things - we are evacuating the building!" So I went
from not that worried to kind of freaking out a little. I guess the
quick change in attitude of the people around me gave me an
adrenaline burst. Although I didn't need it to just walk our of the
building.

We were all congregating in the parking lot (there's about 40 of us at
my office) when the cop and the fire chief arrived. Then we heard the
sirens. The first fire truck pulled in. It was really exciting.
Something you just don't get to see that often in life - and truly
hope NOT to see. Then fire truck number two pulled in, parked and
started prepping the ladder. Then with fire truck three's arrival, the
action really started. Guys got there gear on. Two guys went up the
ladder with axes.
Most of us (the employees) were taking pictures and watching the
action! The firemen had gotten there so fast!! Even though I was
watching firemen at work, I felt safe because of how quickly they had
arrived!!

After about an hour, we were given the all clear. It was an AC fan
motor that sparked and was smoking. Smoke. So the rest of the day we
got that awesome smoke smell. My throat got all scratchy. Not
expecting THAT at work.

Definitely not a boring day at work!!!

No comments: