Thursday, June 11, 2009

Vet Trips

I had to take our dog to the vet today for her yearly check-up. She does not like the vet - really, she doesn't like being in the car. Most dogs love to ride in the car, but she does not. Well, until she knows where we are going and is sure that it's NOT the vet. As we approach the vet each time, she cries, shakes and reluctantly gets out of the car.
We have to take her in about every 6 weeks to get her nails trimmed. With the combination of her very black nails and her defiance at us trying trimming them, we have to get the professionally done. So, you'd think she'd be used to trip to the vet. Nope.
First thing, for her yearly visit is the shot that she has to get before the rabies shot. She had a really bad swelling reaction once - and I don't want that to happen again. Not fun. So after the first little shot, she hit under the chair. We had to wait 15 minutes for it to get into her system. So with her crying and hiding and trying to get out the door, it was a great 15 minutes.


Then the doctor came in, checked her out and gave her the other shots. She does great with shots, it's the nail trimming that followed that she has a problem with. She is such a faker. She whimpers and cries, even if they don't quick her - what a baby.
Then a few more minutes waiting for the lab results to come back. With everything looking good, I paid (ouch) - buying her heartworm medicine too - and then we got out of there!
She cried and made this other noise - it sounded like a goose honking - all the way home. I tried to tell her that we were going home. She didn't believe me until we were in the garage.
So the last step of medical care for the dog was to GIVE her one of the heartworm chews.

Uh, where's the heartworm. Are you kidding me? I BOUGHT the heartworm, I didn't actually GET the heartworm. So I called, and I had to drive back down there to get the medicine. Not really that far away, just annoying. And I had already spent enough time in a vet clinic for one day. Molly got to stay home for that trip!

No comments: