Thursday, January 24, 2013

Two to Three...

The question that I have gotten many times over the past few months: How is it going from two to three? Well, there is a short answer and a long answer.

I would said that it was kind of easy and smooth - with some bumps. Although it really kind of snuck up on me. So maybe "smooth" like ripping off a bandaid. Bam! It's done. But now, settling into life with three can be described as unpredictable and scattered. I don't have a hand for every child.  And when there are kids in need, there has to be a line.  Scattered is just something that my life really has never been. I'm not one to lose my keys or not know the plan for the day. And I find myself doing just that more and more these days. And really, I'm ok with that. I find that it's almost refreshing to kind of change the way I think about things.  Sometimes. I still am me, though. I love a plan. And when I have lost my key, it's just in the "safe place" that I put it last.

To really answer the question, how is going from two to three, it really is about how we went from zero to three.  Two to three was a surprise - and as unpredictable as everything is now, it feels complete.

Going from one to two was probably the hardest transition, but we did it a rather hard way. There was travel and a foreign land. And then uncharted stages of grief and bonding and pain that we went through. All of us. So the transition to a complete family of four took a while.

And going from zero to one - that was just kind of scary. One day, I got a call that there was a baby waiting for me and FOUR days later, we brought her home. It felt weird putting a baby in our car. Um, we just, like, take her home? Then what? There were many unknowns. Ok, seriously, EVERYTHING was unknown. I hadn't been reading lots of books, because I didn't think that our time for a child was going to be so soon. And my heart couldn't open that much to do the research - that I very much like to do before something major.  So every day was a new adventure - scary and exciting.
I think maybe every day still is an adventure. And it seems that my adventure is getting louder and louder every day!

My journey - zero to three - in just over 2 years - kind of crazy. Full of blessings. Never expected. Is this what I thought it would look like? Not in a million years. Is this exactly what God's plan was? Most definitely. And I am so thankful that His plan was WAY better than any of my plans could have ever been.

No comments: