Thursday, June 11, 2015

The joy of what?

Of minimalism?  Probably not.  But I do want to maybe get closer to essentialism.  The things that pile up around me are those "just in case" items.  The "I might need it (again) one day" things.  And I have piles of them.  I try to organize them.  But most of the time, it's a bin that I don't even know what's in it.  So if I do need it, I don't know I have it and replace it anyway.  I have a closet full of clothes.  But half of them are things I don't like - I wanted to like them.  Or I wanted to have the style to wear them.  But wanting to and actually doing are two different things.

So let another purge commence.  And let this one be the BIG one.  I'm tired of stepping around stuff I don't need for things that I do.  I want to see what I have.  So that the stuff becomes less important.  The focus here is... you guessed it.... making moments matter.

After reading the "Moments" book, I am almost finished reading another book.  Similar theme, but hitting more specifically on places that I need rejuvenation.  The book Living Well, Spending Less by Ruth Soukup.  And it's an interesting combination of finding and cherishing the important things in life (e.g. moments, friends, family) and spending less money and less time on STUFF.

So after a couple of weeks of summer - that is the goal.  A ruthless clearing out.  Only keeping the useful stuff - the stuff that brings joy.  To make room for the PEOPLE!  To make room for JOY!

Some moments of the past few weeks:
The first weeks of summer - relaxing and very busy!
Haircuts - middle little's first one!  Seeing those baby curls fall on the ground.
Lots of games, water fun, cuddling!

No comments: