Saturday, July 31, 2010

Summer Trip - Part 2

The Grand Canyon!
I love taking trips to parts of the country where nature plays a big part. I love seeing mountains and water and now the grandest canyon ever! I knew it was big. But it was just so different than I thought it would be. I was joking with someone about going to Arizona to see the "biggest hole in the ground" - but it's didn't really strike me as that. It was more like a painting. Each turn of the trail and each corner of the canyon looked different - and amazing! Arriving by train was the way to go! It was fun to take a break from the car, even with me the passenger (I don't drive on trips - agreed on by both parties!). We were able to see the canyon from many overlooks that first day. And even saw a condor napping! (bottom middle picture in collage)
And we ended day one at the Canyon watching the sunset. Amazing colors!

Day two at the Grand Canyon began with a sunrise - left the room at 5:00. I am NOT an early riser - that is an understatement. But I was not going to miss the sunrise at the Grand Canyon. When am I ever going to get to see it again? And it was COLD and amazing. The quiet and then the sun just peeking over the canyon, then lighting up the entire sky.
We did some rim trail hiking - we were not daring enough to do any of the Bright Angel trail. Way too hot. And with the sinus infection I was getting, the inner ear pressure was not going to afford much in the way of balance confidence! We did however hike around the rim - and hit many of the overlooks. After a day of hiking and picture taking, we got back on the train to head back to Williams, and hit I-40 to stay the night in Flagstaff.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: